Monday, October 25, 2010

We´re Here

We arrived in Quito Ecuador on Saturday October 23, 2010 at about 10:30 p.m. It had been a very long day and we were wiped out. All the Senior Missionaries were at the airport to greet us. They gave me a bouquet of roses and took pictures, I almost felt like a celeberity. We took a taxi to our apartment and did some unpacking then finally went to bed about 1:00 a.m. We got up and went to church on Sunday morning. I was totally lost, I was able to understand a word now and then but not much more. Dad is doing very well with his Espanol. All the Senior Missionaries had dinner together Sunday night. We all live in the same building so it is convenient. Monday morning we got up and left the aptartment at 7:30 a.m. walked to the office and have been trying to figure out what we are suppose to do. We left for lunch and tried to find a printer for our apartment but they were out of the kind Dad wanted. We were suppose to go to get our internet hooked up but the Elders were not available to go with us, so here I am typing on the blog. We have had so many experiences the last three days. While we were at the airport in Miami two young boys came up to us in line and looked at my badge. I could tell he was trying to read it. I had my Espanol badge on and soon his face lit up and he asked if we were Mormon. I replied `si` he smiled big and said `me too`, then he turned to his little brother and explained we were Mormon missionaries. They were from Mexico and were flying home. Dad caught his pants on the arm of the airplane seat when we boarded in Chicago and ripped a hugh hole in his suit. When he got up to get off the plane everything was hanging out. We covered him up with his coat, found a sewing kit and he repaired it as best he could before our flight to Ecuador. At the airport in Ecuador again we were asked if we were Mormon. Dad had a pretty good conversation with a young couple who smiled and shook our hands. Later I asked if they were members and he shruged his shoulders and said `I don`t know, I couldn`t really understand them.` So much for making a good contact. We have been trying to learn our duties and are still kind of lost, but we have a temporary office and are getting the computers connected up for us to use. Dad seems to be finding some things to do but I am pretty lost right now. We are going to meet the Mission President at 5:00 p.m. today and are going to try to do some shopping at the Super Maxi before hand. Super Maxi is the grocery store chain here in Quito. Well I had better close for now and try to do something productive. We are slowly setteling in and getting use to things. All is well, All is well!!!

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Ohh NO, poor Dad! What a great start, it sound like you have been busy. Hope things settle down and you can figure out what to do over the next 18 months... :) love ya.